Commonly Asked Workers’ Compensation Questions

A workers’ compensation case comes with a lot of questions. We’ve compiled a list of the most commonly asked questions about a worker’s compensation case.

I am injured at work. What should I do before filing a worker’ compensation claim?

You should inform your supervisor or employer about your injury in writing. This written notice should include when the accident occurred and how it happened. In addition, you should inform your doctor or a medical professional about how your injury occurred. It is important to have medical evidence that links to your work activities. This evidence helps when recording the accident or any diagnosis of the injury.

What is the process for filing a workers’ compensation claim?

After you have given notice to your employer about the injury, the employer may provide a form for completion to file a claim. In addition, you may complete a form utilized by the New York State Workers’ Compensation Board to file a claim properly. It is advisable that you seek legal assistance when it comes to completion of these forms to file your claim.

How long does it take to receive worker’s compensation benefits?

After you have pursued medical treatment, gave notice to your employer, and filed the claim, a report will be sent to your insurance company covering the claim. The insurance company is required to respond to your claim within a two to three week period with a payment of compensation benefits or an explanation as to why your claim was denied.

When should I consult an attorney?

You should consult an attorney as soon as possible. The attorney can handle all communication with the insurance company and assist in completing any forms. They will also evaluate whether or not you have to give a statement or answer any questions posed by the insurance company.

I have more workers’ compensation questions. Who can I talk to if I think I have a workers’ comp case?

Contact an attorney at Ramos & Ramos by phone at (716) 810-6140 or by filling out our Free Case Evaluation.