If you are a cyclist or a motorcyclist who has been wrongfully injured in a dooring accident, read on to discover how a seasoned Buffalo bicycle accident lawyer of Ramos & Ramos can come to your defense in a personal injury claim.
What is the definition of a dooring accident?
Generally speaking, a dooring accident is when a cyclist or motorcyclist collides with an opened vehicle door. This usually occurs because the person who opened the door did not check their surrounding before proceeding to do so.
What are the common injuries that are associated with dooring accidents?
Dooring accidents occur far more often than you may think, especially on busy New York roads. Unfortunately, the injuries associated with these accidents are severe and can even be fatal. They read as follows:
- Whiplash or otherwise a neck injury.
- Laceration (i.e., deep cuts and tears to the skin).
- Fractures, dislocations, or sprains of the bones.
- Internal bleeding or otherwise organ damage.
- Brain injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries.
How do I recover damages for my dooring accident?
You can recover your damages from your dooring accident by filing a personal injury claim. To have a solid defense, you must satisfy the burden of proof. In other words, you must supply a sufficient amount of evidence that directly connects your injuries to the negligence of the party who opened the vehicle door. You can do so by following the below steps:
- Call the police: upon arrival at the scene of the accident, the police will conduct an official police report and dispatch an ambulance. Then, you should request a copy of the report.
- Record the scene: if you are physical condition allows for it, you should take photos and videos of your injuries, your bicycle damages, and the vehicle door that contributed to your accident.
- Collect contact information: ask the negligent party for their name, phone number, email address, license plate number, driver’s license number, insurance company name, insurance policy number, and any other relevant information. Then, you should ask other passengers and witnesses for their contact details, as well. Witness testimonies may come important in your case.
- Attend medical treatment: make your way to the ambulance even if you do not feel injuries, as they may arise later on. Then, you should schedule follow-up appointments, along with collecting medical documentation and bills.
- Employ a competent Buffalo auto accident lawyer: we will collect other relevant evidence on your behalf, like surveillance camera footage. Notably, you should do this before the statute of limitations, which in New York is typically three years from the date of your accident.
Contact Our Experienced New York Firm
If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury in New York, contact Ramos & Ramos. Whether you were injured in an auto accident, a slip and fall, or under any other circumstances, we’re here to help.