What Should I Do if I’m Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident?

If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. The next step is to file a claim. How you file a claim depends on if you were on someone else’s property when you were injured. If you need help taking the next steps in filing a claim, reach out to an experienced Buffalo Slip & Fall Lawyer.

Should I Get an Accident Report After a Slip and Fall?

Although an accident report is not required, it may be useful in establishing the facts of the accident for your case. When it comes to completing an accident report, the process differs depending on whether the accident occurred at a business, at a residence, on government property, or at other responsible entities. After seeking medical attention, the report should be filed that same day if possible. An insurance claim should be filed as soon as possible to start the process. The statute of limitations for a slip and fall injury in New York is, generally, 3 years.

How Do I File a Claim Against a Business?

A manager or other on-duty employee should be notified immediately of a slip and fall accident at a store or other business location. The store’s insurance company should provide a slip and fall incident report form.

How Do I File a Claim Against a Government Entity?

A Notice of Claim must be filed within 90 days of the accident for claims against a federal, state, or city government entity. In New York, you are able to sue the state for negligence similar to how you would sue a private party.

How Do I File a Claim Against a Homeowner or Landlord?

If you are injured from a slip and fall accident that occurred at a rented or managed property it is unlikely that there will be an incident report form. In the case that they do have one, you should fill it out to keep a record of the accident. You would make a claim the same way you would if you slipped and fell at a business. To win such a claim, you must prove that the property owner knew of the hazard or reasonably should have known and failed to remedy the issue timely. If you need help or are ready to file a claim against a business, government entity, or homeowner/landlord please contact a Buffalo, New York Personal Injury Attorney who can help you through the process.

Contact Our Experienced New York Firm

If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury in New York, contact Ramos & Ramos. Whether you were injured in an auto accident, a slip and fall, or under any other circumstances, we’re here to help.